The science behind the benefits
This document, published by the United Kingdom Water Treatment Association (UKWTA), is an excellent summary of the scientific evidence for the benefits that come from fitting a water softener.
The benefits discussed in the report include:
- softened water reduces the amount of maintenance and servicing your appliances need
- water softeners save energy
- water softeners reduce fuel costs
- water softeners reduce carbon emissions
- softened water removes existing limescale
- with softened water, you use less soap, shampoo and detergent
- softened water is better at removing stains
- clothes last longer when washed in softened water
- cleaning is easier with softened water, because there’s no scum
- softened water is kinder to the skin
- softer water means softer hair
If you have hard water in your home, it could affect the lifetime of your household appliances due to a build-up of limescale over time. Water softeners remove minerals from your water supply and drastically reduce the amount of limescale in your home. Find out more about the effects of hard water.